how i spent my saturday night, by ryan s.
Sam and her parents and I went to San Antonio this weekend to see John Prine perform at the Majestic Theater. We had dinner before the show at a resonably fancy Italian place on the riverwalk that was swarming with kids in their prom finery who served as limitless fodder for amusingly catty insults from Sam and her Parents. The Majestic, an ornate, mexican art deco movie palace, was just about the coolest venue I've been to in a long time and I'm pretty sure this was the first concert I've ever been to that wasn't in a coffee shop or didn't involve and orchestra where I had an actual seat. As it turns out, I'm a bigger Prine fan than I thought I was and recognized most of the songs he played save for a few of the newer ones. It was a pretty good show save for the array of drunken Jimmy Buffet impersonators shouting incomprehensible and ill-timed punctuations to Prine's charming annectdotes (To misquote Sam quoting the rube in the row ahead of us " What? 'Tear it up, John!'? The man is playing accoustic guitar for godsake!"). In conclusion, it was a nice thing to share with Sam and her parents whom I am finally starting to feel more comfortable around and become really fond of. Then End. *love, r.
No comments:
Post a Comment