all ends loose pt. one
Commencement was a week ago. I took the bus to the auditorium and would have worn my cap and gown along the way but for acetate fabric which would have undoubtedly turned my already profuse, anxious sweating into a deluge. The whole escapade spanned over three mind-numbing hours which would have been utterly unbearable were it not for the tassle I had to play with and then the spanish/english dictionary handed out along with our form letters by the lame keynote speaker, a senatoress and professional commencement orator.
For sixish plus weeks prior to the ceremony, I'd been pretty surly about the whole thing - the complete uncertainty of my future overshadowed any joy I could muster at the prospect of finally getting out of school. Afterwards however, a strange sort of calm fell over me.
Now, a week later, I'm still in limbo, but I've got tasks that demand my immediate attention to keep my mind off more abstract thoughts like what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. My old plan was to pick up and move, to travel, whatever, as soon as I graduated so I never bothered to concern myself with local living arrangements. And while I have a little money to brace myself with, I spent much more than I'd saved over the last six months making a grand egress effectively impossible. So I have to fight my flight instinct and at the very least build a bigger nest egg first before I take off.
No comments:
Post a Comment