So Sam and I sat down the other night to try to figure out a plan for getting us into our trailer and out on the road. We both agree that it doesn't make much sense to be carrying around a bunch of debt while trying to scrounge for work while we are traveling. Without being too specific, we are carrying between the two of us, around the national average of credit card debt per household in the US. We have basically just keeping the wolves at bay though, paying the interest each month and barely whittling away at the meat of our debt. Much of this debt was accrued when I was last unemployed. It was a five month span during which we were living mostly off credit cards. Toss in some car repair emergencies and some medical expenses and you have a hearty chunk of change that the fine people at Chase want back at some point (although they're not in any hurry really). So needless to say it doesn't exactly make sense to be buying a trailer and a tow vehicle (we estimate about $15-20 thousand when its all said and done) with that debt looming over our heads.
So our plan is to dig in and pay down our credit cards as much as possible. Our tax return is going straight to the cards & depending on where we are at the end of May, we may be able to put the extra money from my severance payment toward that debt as well. Hopefully I can get some sort of employment going here in the next few weeks which may mean we will have a little extra to feed the debt monster. However, if I am still unemployed when the severance runs out, we will be in a real jam again and paying down credit cards will have to move off the front burner. We don't really have anywhere glaring that we can make cuts to save money. We don't exactly live expensively. Neither of us has a daily Starbucks habit or smokes - areas where financial experts often point to as easy ways to cut back and save. Pretty much all of our expenses are bills so we can like, you know, have a place to live and food and other such luxuries. I guess we could go down to one car, but we did that for a while and it really sucked. We will be looking for a cheaper apartment come July when our lease is up here and that will help some. So what we need are more income streams. I've been trying to figure out some sort of work that I could do while traveling to support us on the road. The others we have been reading about who live such a vagabond lifestyle all basically have work-from-home type gigs - computer programmer,s web designers, bloggers - that make working on the road no different from having a home office. For me working from home has always been difficult because I am so easily distracted, but that seems to be the sort of job I will need as we move forward with our plan. So as a first step we will be setting up a blog for our Airstream adventure and use it to solicit donations of a sort in trade of baked goods (Sam is a very talented baker). Sam also suggested wedding photography as a way for me to make some extra cash. I would actually love to shoot super 8 for weddings since I love the format and it would give me a chance to dust off some of my film making skills. In the mean time I have an interview at REI next week which hopefully become a part-time job and give me some more time to figure out if I am really able to be satisfied with a more independent working arrangement.
No comments:
Post a Comment